Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Onward to Australia! update


Months ago I posted on my debate to take a chance in life and make a move for a bit to the other side of the world to see what it had to offer. The other side of the world being Perth, Australia where I would reconnect with a great friend of mine who has been a strong motivating factor in my life over the last 10 years. After posing the question about trying to possibly make this work, a friend of mine, Michael Kahn, sent me an email and said he really wanted to help me achieve my goal of making it to Australia.

In Short Mike, in his generosity said that he would dedicate his NYC marathon to raising $ for me to make the trip to Australia. He even created a website that allows people to donate $ online officially and I have already got a few donations actually. If you have a second take a look over it and shoot me an email if you have any questions.


https://www.active.com/donate/runningfromwithin


I have NEVER been one to ask for anything in life as I have been stubborn and always wanted to do everything basically on my own since I was young buying my 1st car in cash with grass cutting $$$! Recently a dear friend pointed out that I will pay back my friends in someway if I haven't already and its time to let me friends assist me while I am in need.



- As an update to the process, I have been connecting with a local personal training studio in Perth, with the possibility of coming in as a trainer. Today I was also notified of a position opening at the "Running Centre" in town for some extra hours needed for an experienced professional. this past weekend there was a big half ironman down under and the guys that I will be training with went sub 4:20 and one even in the 4:00's! Looking forward to moving things along..




Below is the content that is in Mike's active.com donation page

Send Chris To The Future
Australia Bound for this Bloke
My name is Mike. I am an avid runner from Charlotte, North Carolina. I've trained all over and call Charlotte, NC my home. Running is a passion. While having a physical component, running is also mental and emotional. It clears the mind and feeds the soul. Every runner develops an internal drive and commitment to better themselves and enrich their lives through running. It is the way I express myself and make my mark on the world.
I've found success in what I do and now I am trying to help others do the same. This is why I am running in the NYC Marathon and asking for your support in helping my friend (and Charlotte native), Christopher Lamperski (above right), raise enough money to travel to Perth, Australia. Most people in the local running community know Chris. He is a tireless but humble athlete, a hard worker, and a true friend.

When I asked Chris about his passion for running, he responded: "Over the past few years, I have heard “you have a lot of talent and if you really trained, you could do this and that." So in the past year I have really had a chance to train a bit more and had some minor success with limited training while juggling a full time job, a busy social schedule, working a part time position on the weekends and trying to be a big brother to my four much younger siblings.

Recently due to the economic crisis I was laid off from my full time position of 5 years, but it gave me a chance to really think about life and what it has to offer.

After my best friend Cody Angell (above left) visited Western Australia and had an overwhelming experience within the community, which led to his relocation, he challenged me to make more of myself with what Perth, Australia has to offer. Working with logistics and creating a financial picture of how this journey could be possible, it has been very difficult. Many signs point to “NO” but I think this is one of those “chances” in life that I need not pass up on even if it means rough times in the near future. I intend to make the most of my opportunity, training with elite level athletes as well as becoming more educated on physio-therapy, personal training, and the psychology of the sport through trying to set up an internship with a local clinic.

My intention is to dive into every aspect of understanding why and how the “Aussie’s” tend to be some of the most incredible athletes in the world, especially in the multi-sport arena. The goal is to come back in a couple of months with a more in depth knowledge of coaching/training. Firstly so that I can convert that to assist my own clients, and secondly for myself in hopes that I can take my racing to a new level that I thought could not be reached."

Unfortunately, Chris cannot afford the cost of traveling to Perth, Austrailia, to experience everything it has to offer a young, aspiring runner. He worked two jobs until being laid off from his main employer as a result of the economy. He is able to support himself from day to day but is unable to come up with the approximate $2,700 travel expense to Perth and back. I am asking for your support in helping to send Chris to Perth to experience everything Perth has to offer. I know money is tight right now and everyone is struggling. Please consider making a donation, no matter how small, so that Chris can take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will truly help him become a better runner and person. Help him fulfill his dream of taking his life to the next level.

Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment