Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Addiction = Delusion



Tonight I finally got to view a movie that I have heard a great deal about because of its content involving drug use and its extremes. The film "Requiem for a Dream" is a 2000 film adaptation of the 1978 novel of the same name. The film depicts different forms of addiction, leading to the characters’ imprisonment in a dream world of delusion and reckless desperation that is subsequently overtaken and devastated by reality. Each character is ultimately destroyed by addiction and self-delusion.

Through-out the movie, my roommate Logan and I commented on certain situations that each character faced, simply because of their gradually increasing addiction. The movie depicts the simple fact that addiction is not always the stereotypical young wide eyed kid who got steered down the wrong path somehow. One of the most disturbing character portrayals is that of an elderly mother who went to extremes to lose some weight to prepare for her shining moment on the big screen. With a simple visit to the doctor she was prescribed with "uppers" and "downers" essentially, which she became addicted to over a few months period. (over prescription is another topic I would like to discuss at a later time!)



This was a movie that just made you think about life in general and the decisions we make on a daily basis that could change our path of life. Maybe we decide to hang with an old set of friends to catch up and it changes our "fate" somehow? After the completion of the movie I was disappointed by the actions of each character obviously but it didn't startle me so much. The one and only reason it didn't really phase me so much is because throughout my life avoiding drugs was a pretty simple and logical decision that didn't require much thought for me. I am not judging other peoples actions who may partake in alternative hobbies or activities too relax or get pumped up, but its just not me. I can't believe that an addiction could get so incredibly bad that someone would allow their loved one to sleep around to feed that craving as was portrayed towards the end of the movie.

Here is a short review on the movie that I read and completely am in agreement with:
"There's a wholehearted commitment in every frame toward synthesizing the feeling of hopeless addiction. It's in the writing. It's in the chaotic cinematography. It's in the actors' eyes."
I am not a Saint by any means but maybe its the christian principals that I have taken on which allow me to see good and bad in more clarity? Maybe its just plain as day to most and some just want to experience life in a different aspect, I just don't know to be honest. Joy for me does not come from a pill, it does not come in the form of a syringe, or even in rolled paper, it is just life in general. The experiences I encounter on a day to day basis are enough for me and as opposed to releasing from them, I chose to accept and embrace them in its purest form. My addiction may be running as I know I have sacrificed many things through the years but I do not recall running causing severe poison to my body, degrading of my loved ones or becoming financially unstable.




As stated, everyone makes their own decisions in life and with those decisions everyone must own up to them. I encourage anyone who may possibly be crossing the line into some form of addiction that effects the path of their life, to rent "Requiem for a dream" and watch it closely. Which point in the movie would open your eyes to see the incredible effect that even a recreation drug use could do to you. Movies, addiction or drug use never intended to be a post of mine but after about 15 minutes of the movie I knew I wanted to expand some of my opinions of the circumstance posed in the film.

1 comment:

  1. I have never commented on a blog before; however, I feel compelled to do so in this case after working with three different addicts and alcoholics throughout this day alone. You see, I am a recovering addict myself--as are the people that I strive to help every day--and, it is not a choice. And, no...it is not always (and is rarely) the glamorized stereotypical Hollywood portrayal of a young, wide-eyed kid who is stricken by this disease. It is often people just like me, at the time a young mother of two boys WAY over her head and lonely.

    You state that everyone "makes their decisions in life." Like you mentioned, one decision can alter the path of your life. It did for me. I was intensely anti-drug until I was a young mother of 26-years-old with two kids under 2...NEVER dreaming that I could become even a shadow of the person you saw in that movie, never believing that trying something one time could lead to years of abuse and shadows. Believe it. It does get that bad and nothing matters anymore. The word you choose, "allow", never comes to mind when you are that desperate. Getting your next fix is a means to an end and the harsh reality of addiction. There ceases to be a choice when you are that sick, Chris.

    Once you have crossed that line into deep, dark despair, poisoning your body is a welcome reality hopefully leading to an early exit from an enslaved life of hell. You can no longer look in the eyes of your degraded loved ones, and you sure as heck couldn't care less about the finances.

    Until you have lived in this hell and emerged like a phoenix to tell about it and help others rise from the ash, it is a dangerous thing on which to comment. Once you have seen someone you love ripped apart by this disease from the inside out, you might have a platform from which to preach. Hollywood doesn't count. Let's hope you are blessed enough to not have either experience, and can trust me on this one.

    ReplyDelete